Monday, August 13, 2012

Fairytale of New York: Day 3; Carrie Bradshaw towers and Peppermint Vacation film shoot

I woke up an hour or so before Serge ended up doing so, so I took a shower and wore my red Cavi sailor shirt with blue jean shorts. Jason decided to stay home and sleep more, so Serge and I left the apartment and  stopped at Starbucks where I bought a venti iced coffee and three mini vanilla bean scones. New York was quite the inferno, so I knew I was in for iced coffee mornings during my stay. I was very grateful to my grandmother who before I left for my trip, sent me a Starbucks gift card, ad well as gift cards for McDonald's and Subway.

Serge had remembered me telling him that I wanted to see the Carrie Bradshaw apartment from Sex and the City. The exterior of it anyway, because the interiors were either in a different apartment, or a set. Along the way we walked through different parts of Greenwich village and through Washington Square Park. I can't remember what all we talked about except I know we discussed exercise and My Own Private Idaho being a film that I wish I liked more.


We also caught a faraway glimpse of the Freedom Towers that are being built near Ground Zero. I decided I did not want to visit Ground Zero while I was there, for the horror of 911 was not something I wanted to experience and relive on location. But at the very least I decided to take a picture of the new towers under construction. One might even look at them as a symbol of hope. But in economic terms, the property value is just too high.



When we reached the apartment, I almost walked past it until Serge pointed out to me that we were there. Though the gaggle of bubbly looking O.C. gals taking pictures should have been enough to tip me off. Even though it was just a simple brownstone, I was thrilled none the less. Film and television landmarks are some of the most important locations to visit on my travelling adventures; the Carrie Bradshaw apartment was no exception to this, having been an avid fan of S&TC since I was in high school. I took a couple of pictures and took note of the No Trespassing sign hanging across the steps and the donation box along the railing.



On our way back we stopped at Trader Joe's for food that would eventually become burgers and guacamole dip that would be consumed by me as well as others. When we got back to the apartment we watched a 911 terrorist documentary that was also about the thievery of different organized regions and ate chips until Serge's friend Kate got off work. At one point Serge made me a burger and I told him thank you for making this burger and letting me eat it.

Months before my New York City adventure even began, Serge was making plans with me to have me be in one of his films. The film was to be called, "Peppermint Vacation," and was essentially a story about prostitutes in New York City. I was to play the role of Cookie. A character who in the script was originally two people, a man and a woman who were brother and sister, eventually was written as a drag performer. I was to have a few scenes with Kate, who I had yet to meet. As well as a couple of solo scenes, one of which involved me lip syncing to Rita Hayworth's "Put the Blame on Mame," one of my most favorite performance pieces of all time.

Kate came to the apartment later that night and I was instantly smitten with her. She had a loving nature, and was quite kind and laughed at all my jokes and stories. We went to the park near the apartment to film before we lost anymore light. Serge filmed Kate saying her lines while I held the script up for her to read, and she did the same with me. We went back to the apartment, had a margarita, and filmed Kate and I's other scene in the bathroom. Later we filmed the big Hayworth number,  and Kate's suicide on the stairwell of the apartment building. We were having so much fun I didn't want her to leave, but little did I know she'd be back before I left for Portland. Because later that night, Serge's camera wouldn't transfer the footage to the computer. After Serge took the camera completely apart, it was clear we would have to re-film.












I can't remember what happened for the rest of the night before I finally went to sleep around 3:00 AM New York time, but I know it involved some kind of t.v. show or another. That night and the night after Serge and Jason's t.v. was showing The Kathy Griffin show, E!'s Fashion Police, The Comedy Central Roast of Joan Rivers, and Bogan Pride. I just cant remember which night had which.




No comments:

Post a Comment