Tuesday, August 7, 2012

The making of a Super-villain Duo: Poison Ivy and Harley Quinn

A few months after I joined the Clinton Street Cabaret's Rocky Horror Picture Show shadowcast here in Portland, I became friends with a young girl known as Mar Mar. She was playing Frank-N-Furter at the time, and had had a reputation for being a die hard Harley Quinn fan. As our friendship grew, she suggested that I be the Poison Ivy to her Harley Quinn. Well my first thought was not, "I can't I'm a boy," for one of the few things I did gain from my experiences in the Cabaret was the freedom to be any character you wanted to be regardless of gender. But instead my initial response was, "I'm not a redhead." But as she was quick to point out in her response, "Well I'm not a blonde." It wasn't long after this that I began to suddenly develop a liking to Poison Ivy; watching with rapt attention every Animated Series episode she was in, searching for her in all the different comic book origins, even bringing myself to re-watch Batman & Robin, though I only watched the scenes with Uma Thurman's Poison Ivy and skipped everything else. A true love connection with a Batman character was born, thanks to Mar Mar, my Harely in crime. Since then we've enjoyed many different oppurtunites to paint the town red and green with our Harley and Ivy personas, but our biggest and most crowning acheivement to date still remain the preshow we performed for one of the Clinton Street Cabaret's Rocky Horror show nights. Together we created a preshow that involved me as Ivy and Mar Mar as Harely, dancing and lip syncing to the song, "Are You Ready to Die," by Cary Ann Hearst, while our boyfriends, Two Face and the Joker, sat tied up listening to us harp about how they were soon to die.
And with that, I leave you with our performance:

No comments:

Post a Comment