Monday, July 16, 2012

NYC Soundtrack; The bag of Jewels

A little less than a month ago I traveled to New York City for the first time. It's a journey I know that I will be talking and writing about for many months to come. My first tale involves my first love turned one of my best friends, who in preparation for my NYC experience, made for me a playlist CD. Each song was labeled and intended for different parts of the city. It was sent to me prior to my departure and I made sure that my Ipod held each city label so as not to forget which song was intended for which area. While there was no time to actually listen to the certain songs while exploring these areas, I spent my night hours in my friend's apartment going over the New York areas I had been to that day and listening to their songs. At the time, and since I've returned, my favorite song is the one my friend had chosen for Union Square. The song was, "Oblivion," by Grimes. It's sound haltingly cheerful, and it's capability of stirring up my memories of Union Square has since been magical and successful. I would say that my attachment to this particular song might have had something to do with the fact that where I was residing in Manhattan at the time was right next to Union Square. It was the first area I visited on my adventure. It was where I walked through nearly every night I was there; whether it was going to McDonalds for cheap food, or walking back at 3 AM after seeing the NYC Rocky Horror cast. It was where the Andy Warhol Statue, an important monument to my NYC itinerary, resided next to one of his old apartments which is now a Petco. And where also I chose to meet Charlotte, a fellow Portland Rocky cast member who was in New York on a well paid modeling gig. I listen to, "Oblivion," Union Square's anthem as it is now considered to be in my world, quite often. Usually while I am walking, my steps constantly keeping the steady rhythm of the path that leads to Union Square.

As for the rest of the CD, the song chosen for Manhattan, "My Girls," by Animal Collective, was my second favorite. And this is because I was staying in the section of Manhattan that is next to Union Square, and instantly did Manhattan become the love of my New York existence. There were a handful of songs intended for places and monuments that were not visited. And because of this, I have yet to even listen to them. I'm saving them for when I return. Which Sun and Rain gods as my witnesses I will return sometime within the next two years. It doesn't feel right to have their first listen be born onto my ears in Portland. However the song that was intended for Coney Island, the one area of New York I regret not visiting the most, may be listened to prior to future departure, for the sake of my daydreams.

If you've made it this far, you've come to the treasure at the end of the skyscraper window. Here is the playlist, as it was intended so lovingly for me by such a wonderful friend. I look at each song as a magical jewel that when taken out and shone against the sun glimmers it's magical powers forth throughout all that surrounds me. The most powerful jewel being that which belongs to Union Square. For it's glimmering magic still beats poetically post the West Coast wringer.

~NYC Soundtrack~

NYC as a whole(Day) ~ Active Child ~ You Are All I See
Manhattan ~ Animal Collective ~ My Girls
Times Square ~ Alex Winston ~ Medicine
Broadway ~ Regina Spektor ~ Human of the Year
Hell's Kitchen ~ Quadron ~ Slippin
Grand Central Station ~ Julia Holter ~ Marienbad
Upper East Side ~ Beth Orton ~ Sweetest Decline
Museum of Natural History ~ MSMR ~ Hurricane
The Met ~ Dirty Projectors ~ Two Doves
Central Park ~ High Highs ~ Horses
Greenwich Village ~ Andreya Triana ~ Lost Where I Belong
Union Square ~ Grimes ~ Oblivion
Brooklyn ~ Beach House ~ Master of None
Coney Island ~ Tennis ~ Origins
Ellis Island ~ The Books ~ Cello Song
The Statue of Liberty ~ Actress ~ N.E.W.
NYC as a Whole(Night) ~ Hospitality ~ Friends of Friends


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5H-YlcMSbc

No comments:

Post a Comment